You want a website that speaks to your client and encourages engagement with your product or service. As a marketing company, Emarkable will work with you to develop your story and generate the level of engagement you desire.
While we endeavour to deliver success we do need to clarify the limitations or parameters of the project and clearly identify any aspects that are not included. In specifying what will and will not be included, the project scope must make clear to the stakeholders, senior management and team members involved, what product or service will be delivered.
“We will supply the content”
As a default, we rely on clients to supply content, proofread and ready to apply on the site. In general, we will not start the website build phase until all content is supplied and signed off by the client.
“I don’t have a clue where to start..”
“I don’t have enough time to finish the content..”
“..what should my website say?”
Over the last year, 80% of projects our content team were not involved in launched late due to content delays. The projects where our content team managed the process launched on or before the deadline. If we don’t lead the content your deadline probably won’t be met which may affect the business goals we’ve discussed.
We can help.
Many of our clients have told us just how deceptively hard putting together the content is and how it takes way longer than they anticipate – not to mention working it into their busy schedules. We can take that burden from you so it becomes one less thing you have to think about.
Can we build the site and add content later?
We’ve found that when we give our designers the content first, even if it’s just a draft, it makes for a more effective design process. This is because we aren’t putting the cart before the horse and just designing an empty shell that we’ll fill later. Instead, we’ll be designing around real, or realistic content that can lead the design process and help prevent bottlenecks later on in the process.
You are the expert
There’s no doubt we need your expertise on the subject matter since you know your business better than we do, however, the benefit of having our content team engaged is that your copy will be written in a tone and style that consistently reflects your brand, and ultimately takes less time to produce.
So let’s look at the different levels of Content services we offer. Even though I know you can provide us with content yourself, the benefit of using our content team is that they understand how to write content for the web. Using proven techniques they will make your content easier for people to understand and more likely to take action.
- Standard/Default* – we agree on a sitemap, you supply all the content in electronic format, proofread, ready for a designer and developer to work on. * If we have a design and build contract, that’s what we will do, Design and Build. Even though I know you can provide us with content yourself, the benefit of using our content team is that they understand how to write content for the web. Using proven techniques they will make your content easier for people to understand and more likely to take action.
- Marketing Brief – we go through a website discovery session, examine competitors, best practice and work with you on the style, tone and type of language that is to be created to achieve your business goals. Effectively we design the sitemap with a strategic focus and guide a writer on the content that is required to be generated. Having great content is more important for your website than how it looks or what code it’s written in. Working with our content team will uncover new ideas and opportunities for your business that you may not realise.
- Content generation– we write some or all of the content based on the Marketing Brief. Sometimes calling in the professionals is the way to go. Better quality, in less time than the client who could write it themselves. Sure, we’ll require more budget to get our content team engaged, but did you know that the difference between good content and great content can make a very tangible difference in how many of your site visitors convert into leads or customers? The impact great content has will always bring a return much higher than what you invest to produce it.
- Search Engine Optimisation – we will optimise supplied content and generate content to assist in the development of high search engine ranking pages.
- Visual Content – we can source stock images, make graphics, design downloads and produce highly visual content that you may hot have at your disposal.
Hopefully, this gives you the information you need to decide to invest in a process around the production of content. Whether that actually means you write the content yourselves with a production plan or you decide on hiring in external content creators, the end result should be an understanding of the risk involved with content. Hopefully, this stops delays and gets your project launched on time, and on budget.
Previous: Writing Content for the Web